Ip address problem
jiten jha
2009-09-04 04:06:00 UTC
Hello friends,
I am facing some unusual problem . I have compaq laptop
installed there windows xp. In a virtual pc i installed ubuntu 8.04 lts and
red hat server 5.0 . When i connect to internet in my laptop then internet
is working it take 192.168.1.4 ip address . When i open ubuntu restart
network service then it is take 10.0.2.5 ip address and same problem is red
hat server when i restart network service then it take 10.0.2.4 ip address .
Internet is working and sites are open . But why it is taking two diffrent
series ip address .
i have to check that my nfs server and vsftp server is running or not .But
both ip address are diffrent then i am not able to check it . Please help me
to solve that problem .
why it is take 2 diffrent series ip address.
I done static ip address and manually ip address , ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.6
subnetmask 255.255.255.0
this process but when i restart network service then ip address change
always in 10 series.
--
Regards
Jitendra Jha
Post by jiten jha
I am facing some unusual problem . I have compaq
laptop installed there windows xp. In a virtual pc i installed
ubuntu 8.04 lts and red hat server 5.0 . When i connect to internet
in my laptop then internet is working it take 192.168.1.4 ip address
. When i open ubuntu restart network service then it is take
10.0.2.5 ip address and same problem is red hat server when i restart
network service then it take 10.0.2.4 ip address . Internet is
working and sites are open . But why it is taking two diffrent series
ip address .
You mean 192.168.1.* for the laptop and 10.0.2.* for the virtual
machines? Well, the IP address of the virtual machines is set by
VirtualBox. Obviously you are using NAT setup where Virtualbox always
uses 10.* addresses. If you want the same network as the laptop you need
the network bridge mode for the interface. Before you start the VM,
change the network setup for the VM from NAT to network bridge. However
when you select the host interface where the bridge should connect, it
can probably not be the wireless interface because only few wireless
chips allow bridging.

Nils
Fred Roller
2009-09-04 11:57:39 UTC
Post by Nils Kassube
Post by jiten jha
[...]
I just set my network interface attachment from NAT to Host Interface.
From there you just choose which eth* you want, and I use my wireless,
eth1. Set up two cards and I attach simultaneously :P which is handy in
my office.

Fred
Nils Kassube
2009-09-05 10:50:49 UTC
Post by Fred Roller
I just set my network interface attachment from NAT to Host
Interface. From there you just choose which eth* you want, and I use
my wireless, eth1. Set up two cards and I attach simultaneously :P
which is handy in my office.
That's interesting because in the past it wasn't possible (for me) to
make host interface networking work with the wireless interface. However
the last time I tried it was more than a year ago with version
1.something. Therefore I now tried it with Virtualbox 3.0.4 and indeed,
now host interface works even with the wireless interface. Thanks for
the info - good to know.

Nils
NoOp
2009-09-05 18:19:32 UTC
On 09/04/2009 04:57 AM, Fred Roller wrote:
Post by Fred Roller
I just set my network interface attachment from NAT to Host Interface.
From there you just choose which eth* you want, and I use my wireless,
eth1. Set up two cards and I attach simultaneously :P which is handy in
my office.
Fred
Are you refering to 'Bridged'? In Bridged mode you can select eth* etc.,
but in Host you create a 'virtual' interface.
Fred Roller
2009-09-05 20:00:50 UTC
Post by NoOp
Post by Fred Roller
I just set my network interface attachment from NAT to Host Interface.
From there you just choose which eth* you want, and I use my wireless,
eth1. Set up two cards and I attach simultaneously :P which is handy in
my office.
Fred
Are you refering to 'Bridged'? In Bridged mode you can select eth* etc.,
but in Host you create a 'virtual' interface.
Using OSE from the repo. I just change from NAT to Host in the GUI front
end. Below that it gives me the option of available interfaces which
also includes the "pan0" that tethers my blackberry.

Fred
NoOp
2009-09-05 20:21:25 UTC
Post by Fred Roller
Post by NoOp
Post by Fred Roller
I just set my network interface attachment from NAT to Host Interface.
From there you just choose which eth* you want, and I use my wireless,
eth1. Set up two cards and I attach simultaneously :P which is handy in
my office.
Fred
Are you refering to 'Bridged'? In Bridged mode you can select eth* etc.,
but in Host you create a 'virtual' interface.
Using OSE from the repo. I just change from NAT to Host in the GUI front
end. Below that it gives me the option of available interfaces which
also includes the "pan0" that tethers my blackberry.
Fred
Interesting... PEUL version doesn't have those interfaces available in
the GUI Host, only in Bridged (VirtualBox 3.0.4). In Host the only
available interface is 'vboxnet0'. It can be set from the command line:

VBoxManage modifyvm <VM name> --nic<x> hostonly

but doesn't from the gui. I'll go search the vbox bug reports...
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4790

But perhaps my case because I only have one nic on this machine - I'll
have to throw another nic in the test machine & see if the results are
the same.
silner
2009-09-04 19:04:58 UTC
Post by Nils Kassube
You mean 192.168.1.* for the laptop and 10.0.2.* for the virtual
machines? Well, the IP address of the virtual machines is set by
VirtualBox. Obviously you are using NAT setup where Virtualbox always
uses 10.* addresses. If you want the same network as the laptop you need
the network bridge mode for the interface. Before you start the VM,
change the network setup for the VM from NAT to network bridge. However
when you select the host interface where the bridge should connect, it
can probably not be the wireless interface because only few wireless
chips allow bridging.
I don't know why they don't make bridging the default. That internal NAT
must confuse everyone at first. I know it had me running in circles for
about half an hour.
silner at identi.ca
jiten jha