What is your favourite FLOSS application?
Dotan Cohen
2009-11-17 11:21:49 UTC
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe has been running the Favourite FLOSS survery for
several years on the Debian list. This year, with his blessing, I take
the survey to the Ubuntu and Kubuntu lists. Below is a template where
you can fill in your favourite applications. If an app does not fit in
any of the categories, please put it under misc utilities and suggest
a new category. Please do not add what you have not really used. You
can include more than one entrant per category, but please don't
bloat.

Accessibility:
Address Book:
Audio Editor:
Audio Player:
Calendar:
CD Ripper:
Collaboration:
Database Management:
Desktop Environment OR Window Manager:
Development:
Dictionary/Translation:
Disc Burner:
E-mail Client:
File Compression:
File Manager:
Finance:
Learning tool:
FTP Client:
Game:
Image Creator/Editor:
Image Viewer:
Instant Messenger:
Mapping:
Mathematics:
Misc Utilities:
Note-taking:
P2P:
Package Manager:
Personal Wiki:
Phone/PDA Sync Tool:
Photo Organizer:
Plenetarium:
PDF/PS Reader:
PDF Writer:
Security:
Spreadsheet:
Terminal Emulator:
Text Editor:
Video Player:
Virtual Machine / Windows Emulator:
Web Browser:
Word Processor:

SPECIAL CATEGORIES

Non-free applications that you use:
Websites for finding new applications:
Unreleased and highly anticipated application:
Dying/dead applications (abandonware) still in use:
Software available for Windows that you need on Linux:
One outstanding issue with Linux/Ubuntu that needs immediate attention:
Any organisation or community deserving great honours:
Any FLOSS developer deserving great honours:
Anything else deserving great honours:
--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
Avi Greenbury
2009-11-17 12:04:09 UTC
I note the apparent lack of provision for mail client preference based
flamewars...

(mine's Claws and Mutt)
mocp
sqlite
Fluxbox, XFCE, WM
K3B
Thunar, mc
Filezilla
OpenArena
Gwenview
(though I preferred it pre-KDE4)
Gaim
Apt!
nmap
gnumeric
gnome-terminal
vim
totem
qemu / WINE
Opera or Seamonkey
abiword
Post by Dotan Cohen
SPECIAL CATEGORIES
Opera
I like the new fossforus, though I don't actually use it
Does Seamonkey count?
Outlook replacement (shared calendars and task lists most pertinently)
Post by Dotan Cohen
One outstanding issue with Linux/Ubuntu that needs immediate
Ubuntu's website navigation.
Debian
Can I give Adobe large amounts of dishonour?

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
2009-11-17 12:04:41 UTC
Desktop Environment OR Window Manager: GNOME
Development: Geany, Python
FTP Client: Nautilus
Misc Utilities: Sudo, debmirror, Lsof, less, Meld, Uptimed, wc, top, Tracker, Ex Falso, wajig, GNOME system monitor applet
Package Manager: APT
Spreadsheet: gnumeric
Terminal Emulator: gnome-terminal
Text Editor: Geany
SPECIAL CATEGORIES
Unreleased and highly anticipated application: APT2, HURD (does it count?)
Any organisation or community deserving great honours: GNU, Debian, GNOME
Any FLOSS developer deserving great honours: mighty Richard Stallman for his politics and coding prowess, Shuttleworth for propelling GNU/Linux to the masses, Guido van Rossum for creating Python, Ian Murdock for creating Debian
Anything else deserving great honours: Linux, GNU toolchain, Xorg, Apache, TeX/LaTeX, GTK+ & GLib
--
my place on the web:
floss-and-misc.blogspot.com
Lewis Handy
2009-11-17 12:10:06 UTC
2009/11/17 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>
Post by Dotan Cohen
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe has been running the Favourite FLOSS survery for
several years on the Debian list. This year, with his blessing, I take
the survey to the Ubuntu and Kubuntu lists. Below is a template where
you can fill in your favourite applications. If an app does not fit in
any of the categories, please put it under misc utilities and suggest
a new category. Please do not add what you have not really used. You
can include more than one entrant per category, but please don't
bloat.
Google Calendar
Fluxbox
Claws Mail
bzip2
Freeciv
GIMP
Aptitude
Gnome Pilot
Evince
Post by Dotan Cohen
open office
Eterm
VIM
Mplayer
KVM / Wine
Firefox
Open Office
Post by Dotan Cohen
SPECIAL CATEGORIES
Freshmeat
Post by Dotan Cohen
--
Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.com
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Dotan Cohen
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe has been running the Favourite FLOSS survery for
several years on the Debian list. This year, with his blessing, I take
the survey to the Ubuntu and Kubuntu lists. Below is a template where
you can fill in your favourite applications. If an app does not fit in
any of the categories, please put it under misc utilities and suggest
a new category. Please do not add what you have not really used. You
can include more than one entrant per category, but please don't
bloat.
Audacity, SoX
Music Player Daemon, Sonata
Vim, Perl
K3b
Mutt
Nautilus, Krusader
LFTP
BZFlag
KolourPaint, GIMP
Pidgin
bc
Zsh (shell), GNOME Do (launcher, search), htop, EasyTAG,
slrn (Usenet newsreader)
APT
J-Pilot
apg
sc
GNOME Terminal, xterm
Vim
MPlayer
VirtualBox
Firefox
Kjetil Halvorsen
2009-11-18 00:20:37 UTC
My answers below, Kjetil halvorsen.
Post by Dotan Cohen
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe has been running the Favourite FLOSS survery for
several years on the Debian list. This year, with his blessing, I take
the survey to the Ubuntu and Kubuntu lists. Below is a template where
you can fill in your favourite applications. If an app does not fit in
any of the categories, please put it under misc utilities and suggest
a new category. Please do not add what you have not really used. You
can include more than one entrant per category, but please don't
bloat.
Audio Editor: Audacity
Audio Player: Rhytmbox music player
Development: R, emacs
File Manager: Nautilus
Image Creator/Editor: GIMP
Instant Messenger: Pidgin
Mathematics: R, sagemath
Package Manager: Synaptic
Terminal Emulator: GNOME Terminal, emacs shell
Text Editor: emacs
Video Player: Totem movie player
Virtual Machine / Windows Emulator: VirtualBox
Web Browser: Firefox
document production: liveTeX, auctex in emacs

nonfree software: gmail, skype
"... an entire human genome would fit on a music CD."

--- www.thinkgene.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 13:21 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
[snip]
N/A
Evolution
Sound Converter
gmucisbrowser
Evolution
Sound Juicer
N/A
OpenOffice.org Base
Gnome
gedit, Code::Blocks, Bluefish, Python interpereter
gnome-dictionary
Brasero
Evolution
File-Roller
Nautilus
OpenOffice.org Calc
M/A
gFTP
Frozen Bubble, Hedgewars, Glest
GIMP, KolourPaint, Wings3D
Eye of Gnome
Pidgin
N/A
Math-O-Matic
Python interpereter, Weather Report panel applet, Topshelf Panel Applet,
Gnome Do
OpenOffice.org Writer
Transmission
Synaptic/ apt-get
N/A
N/A
F-spot
Celestia
Evince Document Viewer
cups-pdf
N/A
OpenOffice.org Calc
Gnome-Terminal
gedit
VLC
Virtualbox, Wine
Firefox
OpenOffice.org Writer
Post by Dotan Cohen
SPECIAL CATEGORIES
Games (Doom 3, Fallout, Diablo 2, Bejeweled 2 Deluxe, etc...),
ATI/nVivia graphics drivers
sourceforge.net or packages.ubuntu.com
Gnome 3
lots of games
my games
lack of any progress monitor on the new bootsplash screen
ubuntu community, epecially the ubuntu-users mailing list, and the
ubuntu forums
dont know
N/A
--
Andrew
_____________________________
Registered Ubuntu User: 22747
Johnny Rosenberg
2009-11-17 17:59:16 UTC
Post by Dotan Cohen
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe has been running the Favourite FLOSS survery for
several years on the Debian list. This year, with his blessing, I take
the survey to the Ubuntu and Kubuntu lists. Below is a template where
you can fill in your favourite applications. If an app does not fit in
any of the categories, please put it under misc utilities and suggest
a new category. Please do not add what you have not really used. You
can include more than one entrant per category, but please don't
bloat.
Audio Editor: Haven't found a good one yet.
Audio Player: SongBird
Calendar: Evolution
CD Ripper: Sound Juicer
Desktop Environment OR Window Manager: Gnome with Compiz Fusion
E-mail Client: Opera M2
File Compression: Any
File Manager: Nautilus
FTP Client: Nautilus
Game: My own Maxi Yatzy (Swedish kind of Yathzee with 6 dice?) for OpenOffice.org Calc?
Image Viewer: None
Instant Messenger: Don't care
Note-taking: Tomboy
Package Manager: Aptitude
Photo Organizer: Nautilus?
PDF/PS Reader: Adobe Reader, I'm afraid?
PDF Writer: Didn't find a good one so far.
Spreadsheet: OpenOffice.org Calc
Terminal Emulator: The standard gnome terminal.
Text Editor: Emacs
Video Player: Don't care, most of them work for me.
Web Browser: Opera
Word Processor: OpenOffice.org Writer
Digital audio workstation: Ardour (are there others out there at all?)
MIDI SysEx tool: Still looking for a good one?
Text extension tool: AutoKey (gtk version)

Johnny Rosenberg
Post by Dotan Cohen
SPECIAL CATEGORIES
--
Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.com
Mark Traceur
2009-11-17 18:18:37 UTC
Accessibility:
Address Book:
Audio Editor: Audacity
Audio Player: Amarok
Calendar: Thunderbird/Lightning
CD Ripper:
Collaboration: Gobby
Database Management:
Desktop Environment OR Window Manager: Openbox
Development: GCC! (Gotta go back to the basics)
Dictionary/Translation:
Disc Burner: K3B
E-mail Client: Thunderbird
File Compression:
File Manager:
Finance:
Learning tool:
FTP Client:
Game: Battle for Wesnoth
Image Creator/Editor: GIMP
Image Viewer:
Instant Messenger: Pidgin
Mapping:
Mathematics:
Misc Utilities:
Note-taking:
P2P: rtorrent (seriously this program changed the way I use computers)
Package Manager: Synaptic (nothing KDE does can change my mind,
Synaptic is a rockin' manager)
Personal Wiki: TiddlyWiki!
Phone/PDA Sync Tool:
Photo Organizer:
Plenetarium:
PDF/PS Reader: SumatraPDF (not a Linux app, but it's saved me from
downloading Adobe poison on more than one occasion)
PDF Writer:
Security:
Spreadsheet: OpenOffice
Terminal Emulator:
Text Editor: Gedit
Video Player: VLC
Virtual Machine / Windows Emulator: WINE
Web Browser: Firefox
Word Processor: OpenOffice

SPECIAL CATEGORIES

Non-free applications that you use: Windows Movie Maker. There is
simply no alternative that I have yet found. Feel free to correct me.
Websites for finding new applications: I read reddit.com and watch the
opensource, ubuntu, and linux subreddits for cool apps.
Unreleased and highly anticipated application: CHROME OS!!!!! (Just
kidding, that would be so lame)
Dying/dead applications (abandonware) still in use:
Software available for Windows that you need on Linux: Star Wars
Galaxies!!!! Bit of a stretch, I know.
One outstanding issue with Linux/Ubuntu that needs immediate attention:
Any organisation or community deserving great honours:
Any FLOSS developer deserving great honours:
Anything else deserving great honours:

--MarkTraceur
--
Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
get all the money. Where's the justice there?

Ubuntu One Music Store -
http://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/a4vmn/ubuntu_one_music_store/
Brian McKee
2009-11-17 19:13:09 UTC
What's your favourite FLOSS application?
Vim
Oh wait - you wanted more than one...

I just hit the highlights or I'd turn this into an essay....
Audacity
Gnome
Vim, Perl, Python, bash
bzip2
bash
ncftp
ssh, rsync, Align plugin for Vim, openssl
clutch
aptitude
tiddlywiki
soffice
Vim
xbmc, totem
virtualbox
firefox
SPECIAL CATEGORIES
Gmail, Gcalendar, acrobat (reader), picasa, iseriesaccess
mobile device sync
Nils Kassube
2009-11-17 15:49:14 UTC
sweep, sox
play, kaffeine
grip
KDE
ksteak
k3b
kmail
gzip, bzip2
konqueror
gimp
kuickshow
kopete
wxmaxima
ktorrent
synaptic
kstars
okular
cups-pdf
konsole
joe, kate
kaffeine, mplayer
virtualbox / why emulate? I have payed for the real thing :)
konqueror
OOo writer
Nvidia driver, adobe reader, adobe flashplugin, googleearth, eagle

Nils
Fred Roller
2009-11-17 21:27:28 UTC
Address Book: Thunderbird
Audio Player: Rhythmbox
Calendar: Google Calendar via Thunderbird/Lightening
CD Ripper: Rhythmbox
Desktop Environment OR Window Manager: Gnome
Dictionary/Translation: Dictionary 2.28.1/Online translator
Disc Burner: K3b
E-mail Client: Thunderbird
File Compression: tar
File Manager: Nautilus
Learning tool: Mnemosyne, Freemind, (trying anki), and Child's play w/
my 1yr old
FTP Client: Filezilla
Game: stock time killers
Image Creator/Editor: GIMP
Image Viewer: Eye of Gnome
Misc Utilities: berry4all for tethering blackberry
Package Manager: apt + synaptic
PDF/PS Reader: Evince document viewer
PDF Writer: Open Office writer -> export
Spreadsheet: Open Office
Terminal Emulator: Gnome Terminal
Text Editor: gedit
Video Player: Totem
Virtual Machine / Windows Emulator: Virtualbox OSE
Web Browser: Firefox
Word Processor: Open Office

SPECIAL CATEGORIES

Non-free applications that you use:
Broadcom wireless drivers, Nvidia graphics drivers, Hulu
Software available for Windows that you need on Linux:
Log me in for 64 bit system.
Anything else deserving great honours:
Ubuntu Marketing team as they start trying to cement the group
Mark C. Miller
2009-11-17 22:20:00 UTC
Post by Dotan Cohen
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe has been running the Favourite FLOSS survery for
several years on the Debian list. This year, with his blessing, I take
the survey to the Ubuntu and Kubuntu lists. Below is a template where
you can fill in your favourite applications. If an app does not fit in
any of the categories, please put it under misc utilities and suggest a
new category. Please do not add what you have not really used. You can
include more than one entrant per category, but please don't bloat.
SPECIAL CATEGORIES
Websites for finding new applications: Unreleased and highly anticipated
Software available for Windows that you need on Linux: One outstanding
issue with Linux/Ubuntu that needs immediate attention: Any organisation
or community deserving great honours: Any FLOSS developer deserving
will this list be compiled and published someplace at some time? It's
pretty open as stated.

I'd love to know if I need to be printing out these individual answers
because there's a lot of stuff here I've never heard of -- which isn't
surprising given the dearth of experience at my end.

mcm
Mark C. Miller, Indianapolis IN, USA
Dotan Cohen
2009-11-18 07:11:45 UTC
will this list be compiled and published someplace at some time? ?It's
pretty open as stated.
Yes, probably at the end of the month.
I'd love to know if I need to be printing out these individual answers
because there's a lot of stuff here I've never heard of -- which isn't
surprising given the dearth of experience at my end.
I will try to keep the results very thorough.
--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
Dotan Cohen
2009-12-27 21:12:17 UTC
will this list be compiled and published someplace at some time? ?It's
pretty open as stated.
I was hoping to have the results out by the end of the year, but I
have been swamped with studies and it might not happen until the end
of January! But the time is well spent: I am designing a MySQL backend
and taking into consideration the different formats that people send
in, not to mention the fact that some categories get more than one
answer. This way, next year's survery will go much smoother, and it
will scale.
I'd love to know if I need to be printing out these individual answers
because there's a lot of stuff here I've never heard of -- which isn't
surprising given the dearth of experience at my end.
All the programs mentioned here will be in the final results.
--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
Huai Yuan
2009-11-17 22:21:35 UTC
Post by Dotan Cohen
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe has been running the Favourite FLOSS survery for
several years on the Debian list. This year, with his blessing, I take
the survey to the Ubuntu and Kubuntu lists. Below is a template where
you can fill in your favourite applications. If an app does not fit in
any of the categories, please put it under misc utilities and suggest
a new category. Please do not add what you have not really used. You
can include more than one entrant per category, but please don't
bloat.
Emacs org-mode + calendar
Stumpwm
Emacs, Slime, SBCL
dict
Emacs GNUS
Emacs dired-mode
Emacs org-learn (with sm5 spaced repetition algorithm)
xfig, tikz
Firefox, feh
Emacs ERC, BitlBee
Maxima, GSL, SBCL
Emacs org-mode
apt
Emacs doc-view, gv, acroread
Emacs auctex, texlive
Emacs org-mode's table editor
Emacs shell, urxvt
Emacs
Firefox
Emacs auctex, org-mode, texlive
Post by Dotan Cohen
SPECIAL CATEGORIES
Adobe Acrobat, Google Earth
Debian
huaiyuan
NoOp
2009-11-18 00:51:02 UTC
Johnson&Johnson REACH? Floss - note: *no* LinuxMint allowed :-)
Res
2009-11-18 03:31:50 UTC
evolutions
audactiy
audacious
evolutions
Gnome
cdrtools
evolution
gzip
nautilus
ncftp
gqview
amsn
acroread
openoffice
pico
mplayer
firefox
open office
--
Res

"What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?" - One hell of a lot of bugs!
Florian Diesch
2009-11-18 12:43:27 UTC
Post by Dotan Cohen
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe has been running the Favourite FLOSS survery for
several years on the Debian list. This year, with his blessing, I take
the survey to the Ubuntu and Kubuntu lists. Below is a template where
you can fill in your favourite applications. If an app does not fit in
any of the categories, please put it under misc utilities and suggest
a new category. Please do not add what you have not really used. You
can include more than one entrant per category, but please don't
bloat.
gmusicplayer
grip
Gnome, Compiz, fvwm
Python, Glade, Emacs, bzr, make
dictd, dict
wodim, growisofs
Gnus
gzip, bzip2
mc, Nautilus
mc, Nautilus, lftp
gnugo, cgoban, armagetron, Frozen Bubbles
ImageMagic, GIMP
ImageMagic, gthumb
Genius
Deluge
dpkg, apt, Synaptic
gthumb
Evince, xpdf
pdfLaTeX
gnome-terminal
Emacs, vim
xine, mplayer
VirtualBox
Firefox, w3m, lynx
LaTeX
Post by Dotan Cohen
SPECIAL CATEGORIES
freshmeat.net

Florian
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/doc/emacs/>
Mark Kelly
2009-11-18 23:56:42 UTC
</lurk>

Hi.
Audacity
mpd
soundkonvertor
PostgreSQL, pgAdmin 3
KDE 3.5
Eclipse, netbeans
K3b
Kmail
Konqueror
Konqueror
FreeCiv
GIMP, Blender
Kuickshow
Gramps, xplanet
apt
KeePassX
Konsole
vim
vlc
Firefox
Post by Dotan Cohen
SPECIAL CATEGORIES
vmware, Opera
Directory Opus
KDE4 (I know it's not your fault, but you asked)
Free Software Foundation
rsync, bash, FUSE/sshfs

Thanks for the opportunity to publicly say thanks to all the folk who make
this stuff. I'm looking forward to mining the summaries for new toys...

<lurk>
Joep L. Blom
2009-11-19 11:23:33 UTC
My most used applications are:

Accessibility:
Standard
Address Book:
Thunderbird
Audio Editor:
Audacity, MuseScore
Audio Player:
Rhythmbox
Calendar:
Thunderbird
CD Ripper:
Standard
Collaboration:
Database Management:
MySql, openOffice
Desktop Environment OR Window Manager:
Gnome
Development:
bash, perl
Dictionary/Translation:
gnome-dictonary
Disc Burner:
brassero
E-mail Client:
Thunderbird
File Compression:
File Manager:
Nautilus
Finance:
Learning tool:
FTP Client:
gftp
Game:
Image Creator/Editor:
Imagemagick, Gimp
Image Viewer:
Imagemagic
Instant Messenger:
none
Mapping:
Mathematics:
Misc Utilities:
LEAF firewall
Weatherdisplay (Windows & Linux)
Note-taking:
Tomboy
P2P:
Package Manager:
Personal Wiki:
Phone/PDA Sync Tool:
Photo Organizer:
showfoto, picasa
Plenetarium:
PDF/PS Reader:
Acrobat
PDF Writer:
xournal, pdfedit, openoffice
Security:
Spreadsheet:
Openoffice spreadsheet
Terminal Emulator:
terminal
Text Editor:
Gedit, vi, nano
Video Player:
Virtual Machine / Windows Emulator:
virtualbox, wine
Web Browser:
Firefox
Word Processor:
OenOffice

SPECIAL CATEGORIES

Non-free applications that you use:
NVIDIA-drivers
Websites for finding new applications:
Unreleased and highly anticipated application:
Dying/dead applications (abandonware) still in use:
Software available for Windows that you need on Linux:
One outstanding issue with Linux/Ubuntu that needs immediate attention:
Any organisation or community deserving great honours:
Open Source, Ubuntu

Any FLOSS developer deserving great honours:
Anything else deserving great honours:
Developers of MuseScore
J.L. Blom
Laura Conrad
2009-11-19 15:48:43 UTC
Dotan> Accessibility:
Dotan> Address Book:
BBDB

Dotan> Audio Editor:

Audacity, ecawave

Dotan> Audio Player:

Rhythmbox

Dotan> Calendar:
Dotan> CD Ripper:

sound-juicer

Dotan> Collaboration:
Dotan> Database Management:

mysql, phpmyadmin

Dotan> Desktop Environment OR Window Manager:
Dotan> Development:
Dotan> Dictionary/Translation:
Dotan> Disc Burner:
Brasero

Dotan> E-mail Client:

gnus

Dotan> File Compression:
Dotan> File Manager:
Dotan> Finance:
Dotan> Learning tool:
Dotan> FTP Client:
Dotan> Game:
Dotan> Image Creator/Editor:
Dotan> Image Viewer:
Dotan> Instant Messenger:
Dotan> Mapping:
Dotan> Mathematics:
Dotan> Misc Utilities:

Backup: rsnapshot, rsync (This should really be a category --
everyone should do it.)
Music notation: lilypond
MIDI playing: timidity

Dotan> Note-taking:
Dotan> P2P:
Dotan> Package Manager:
Dotan> Personal Wiki:
Dotan> Phone/PDA Sync Tool:
Dotan> Photo Organizer:
Dotan> Plenetarium:
Dotan> PDF/PS Reader:

gv, xpdf

Dotan> PDF Writer:
Dotan> Security:
Dotan> Spreadsheet:
gnumeric
Dotan> Terminal Emulator:
Dotan> Text Editor:

emacs

Dotan> Video Player:
Dotan> Virtual Machine / Windows Emulator:
Dotan> Web Browser:

firefox

Dotan> Word Processor:

Latex

Dotan> SPECIAL CATEGORIES

Dotan> Non-free applications that you use:
Dotan> Websites for finding new applications:
Dotan> Unreleased and highly anticipated application:

chromium browser

Dotan> Dying/dead applications (abandonware) still in use:

gv

Dotan> Software available for Windows that you need on Linux:

Logitech Harmony remote editor.

Dotan> One outstanding issue with Linux/Ubuntu that needs
Dotan> immediate attention:

Digital sound.

Dotan> Any organisation or community deserving great honours:

The people who man the mailing lists and support new users of complex
software.

Dotan> Any FLOSS developer deserving great honours:
Dotan> Anything else deserving great honours:
--
Laura (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org)
(617) 661-8097 233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

If the world could write by itself, it would write like Tolstoy.

Isaac Babel
Bas Roufs
2009-11-19 19:33:17 UTC
Hello Dotan and everybody else

Of course I am happy to fill in this survey. But before doing so, I would
appreciate 2 short answers to 2 brief questions.
... Favourite FLOSS survery ...
What exactly means 'FLOSS'?

What do you want to do with the outcome of this survey? Is it relevant for
the development of future Ubuntu and Kubuntu releases?

Thanks, respectfully yours,

Bas Roufs.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Bas Roufs
What exactly means 'FLOSS'?
Free/Libre/Open Source Software.

Usually FOSS is good enough for most people, but Libre is the French
term for free (as in speech), so some people add it in to be
absolutely clear.

--MarkTraceur
--
Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
get all the money. Where's the justice there?

Hey /r/Linux! Need a distro for an ancient machine. -
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/a5g4c/hey_rlinux_need_a_distro_for_an_ancient_machine/
James Michael Fultz
2009-11-19 19:52:38 UTC
Free/Libr?/Open Source Software. Yeah, I think it sounds goofy too.
Mark Traceur
2009-11-19 20:49:01 UTC
Free/Libr?/Open Source Software. ?Yeah, I think it sounds goofy too.
There's no accent in "Libre," it's French. Good try, though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_Libre

--MarkTraceur
--
Microsoft does half the work that Open Source developers do, and they
get all the money. Where's the justice there?

Vulnerability in the GIMP image editing tool -
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/a5ec9/vulnerability_in_the_gimp_image_editing_tool/
Dotan Cohen
2009-11-19 22:58:44 UTC
Post by Bas Roufs
Hello Dotan and everybody else
Of course I am happy to fill in this survey. But before doing so, I would
appreciate 2 short answers to 2 brief questions.
... Favourite FLOSS survery ...
What exactly means 'FLOSS'?
FLOSS means Free/Libre Open Source Software. The purpose of the survey
is to tally what FLOSS software is in active use. It would be
interesting to note if 80% of Ubuntu users use Gimp, for instance, on
the off-chance that someone may decide to remove Gimp from the distro.
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/11/19/1342230/GIMP-Dropped-From-Ubuntu-1004
Post by Bas Roufs
What do you want to do with the outcome of this survey? Is it relevant for
the development of future Ubuntu and Kubuntu releases?
I will aggregate and publish a list of which software was mentioned
for each category, with total numbers and percentages. As seen with
the recent Gimp incident (which became known after I released the
survey) there is a need for this aggregation. I am not affiliated with
Canonical in any official way, however I do file bug reports at
Launchpad.

The names of the respondents will _not_ be published in my final
report. Note that the respondent's posts to the list are public just
like any other list post, therefore users are invited to email me
directly. If you would prefer to fill out an anonymous form on a
website, I can whip up a quick form to put on my personal site that
would not require the submission of an email address. I will likely
record IP addresses, however, to counter abuse. Those IP addresses
will not become public, and users can of course fill out the form via
a proxy such as Tor.
--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
2009-11-19 23:13:49 UTC
Post by Dotan Cohen
The names of the respondents will _not_ be published in my final
report. Note that the respondent's posts to the list are public just
like any other list post, therefore users are invited to email me
directly. If you would prefer to fill out an anonymous form on a
website, I can whip up a quick form to put on my personal site that
would not require the submission of an email address. I will likely
record IP addresses, however, to counter abuse. Those IP addresses
will not become public, and users can of course fill out the form via
a proxy such as Tor.
I like the webform idea quite a lot. Maybe it can also have an entry
of user's main distro, so that some trends could become exposed. It
could even be a permanent form, though that maybe won't make it as
newsworthy as when it appears for limited periods of time, say towards
the end of the year.
--
my place on the web:
floss-and-misc.blogspot.com
Dotan Cohen
2009-11-19 23:19:17 UTC
Post by Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
I like the webform idea quite a lot. Maybe it can also have an entry
of user's main distro, so that some trends could become exposed. It
could even be a permanent form, though that maybe won't make it as
newsworthy as when it appears for limited periods of time, say towards
the end of the year.
2010 will be webform, I think. It has advantages for both the users
and whoever is compiling the answers. I will add a field for the
distro, it could then include the *buntu and the Debian users, as well
as other distros.
--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
Preston Hagar
2009-11-19 21:15:38 UTC
Address Book: Mozilla Thunderbird (build in)
Audio Editor: Audacity
Audio Player: Amarok (the older 1.4 series, not the new one)
Calendar: Lightning (Mozilla Thunderbird Add On)
CD Ripper: Sound Juicer
Desktop Environment OR Window Manager: XFCE
Development: emacs, g++, ruby, subversion (this category seems vague)
Disc Burner: k3b with the schily cdrtools (not the fork that comes with Ubuntu Hardy)
E-mail Client: Mozilla Thunderbird
File Compression: bzip
File Manager: Thunar
FTP Client: ncftp
Image Creator/Editor: gimp
Image Viewer: Ristretto Image Viewer
Misc Utilities: dia
Note-taking: emacs
P2P: ktorrent
Spreadsheet: OpenOffice calc
Terminal Emulator: gnome-terminal
Text Editor: emacs
Video Player: xine
Virtual Machine / Windows Emulator: VirtualBox (but I honestly like/use the non-free version more, so I don't know if this counts)
Web Browser: Mozilla Firefox
Word Processor: OpenOffice writer
SPECIAL CATEGORIES
Non-free applications that you use: VirtualBox (free, but probably not in the way you mean)
Websites for finding new applications: google.com
One outstanding issue with Linux/Ubuntu that needs immediate attention: (For Ubuntu) Make it easier to find the bittorrent links to iso images on the ubuntu site. It is by far the fastest way to download an iso, plus puts the lowest overall strain on the servers/mirrors, but is tricky to find each time.
Any organization or community deserving great honours: Canonical.
Anything else deserving great honours: Linux RAID and all of its developers
--
Dotan Cohen