Best way to backup an iphone to icloud on Linux (that works)
MR ZenWiz
2016-03-09 20:09:13 UTC
I have a friend who has an iPhone that she wants to backup to her computer.

I did some googling for this, and the only result I saw that actually
applies to Linux systems is one on the AskUbuntu forum. It refers to
a program call idevicebackup.

I pulled this down (libimobiledevice-utils) and installed it, but it
doesn't seem to do anything at all. There are no files in the
specified backup directory, and there are no options or verbose flags
or interactive sessions available to find out what it is doing, if
anything. It just reports the backups as done and nothing is there.

I tried using both idevicebackup and idevcebackup2, wth and without
the -u UDID option, but that made no difference. (Yes, I do know how
to find that entity - it's not hard. :-)

Is there such a thing that works, preferably well?

Thanks.
MR
Ralf Mardorf
2016-03-09 20:39:05 UTC
Post by MR ZenWiz
I have a friend who has an iPhone that she wants to backup to her computer.
Hi,

for an iPad I run iTunes on a Windows 7 guest in a Virtualbox host. I
doubt that purchases could be stored/restored, when using a Linux app,
since new versions of iOS even don't work with old versions of iTunes
and seemingly such a backup doesn't really backup the binaries, I guess
just the purchases and data gets stored. I suspect that Linux software
only can access pics and videos, but neither app data, nor purchases.
Consider to chose another host, if a shared directory between guest and
host shouldn't matter that much, since the Virtualbox USB connection to
at least my iPad, is a PITA, but the advantage of Virtualbox is the way
sharing a folder works.

Regards,
Ralf
Ralf Mardorf
2016-03-09 20:55:29 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by MR ZenWiz
I have a friend who has an iPhone that she wants to backup to her computer.
Hi,
for an iPad I run iTunes on a Windows 7 guest in a Virtualbox host. I
doubt that purchases could be stored/restored, when using a Linux app,
since new versions of iOS even don't work with old versions of iTunes
and seemingly such a backup doesn't really backup the binaries, I guess
just the purchases and data gets stored. I suspect that Linux software
only can access pics and videos, but neither app data, nor purchases.
Consider to chose another host, if a shared directory between guest and
host shouldn't matter that much, since the Virtualbox USB connection to
at least my iPad, is a PITA, but the advantage of Virtualbox is the way
sharing a folder works.
Regards,
Ralf
PS: FWIW I backup/sync to the Linux PC, not to the cloud.
Dave Woyciesjes
2016-03-10 02:35:44 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by MR ZenWiz
I have a friend who has an iPhone that she wants to backup to her computer.
Hi,
for an iPad I run iTunes on a Windows 7 guest in a Virtualbox host. I
doubt that purchases could be stored/restored, when using a Linux app,
since new versions of iOS even don't work with old versions of iTunes
and seemingly such a backup doesn't really backup the binaries, I guess
just the purchases and data gets stored. I suspect that Linux software
only can access pics and videos, but neither app data, nor purchases.
Consider to chose another host, if a shared directory between guest and
host shouldn't matter that much, since the Virtualbox USB connection to
at least my iPad, is a PITA, but the advantage of Virtualbox is the way
sharing a folder works.
Regards,
Ralf
Yes, best way is to back it up with iTunes on Windows or OSX. I'm
fairly certain (haven't tested though) that VirtualBox should pass the
USB phone connection through to the Windows guest fine.
And if/when you do sync/backup with iTunes, be sure to choose the
option to encrypt the backup. That allows the backup to save/restore you
saved passwords as well.

Another question, though, is what exactly does she want to back up?
Does the free iCloud backup options not work in some manner?

I'm all for using Linux for everything, but in this case, going with
the Apple way may save headache...
--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.
Ralf Mardorf
2016-03-10 10:29:41 UTC
I'm fairly certain (haven't tested though) that VirtualBox should pass
the USB phone connection through to the Windows guest fine.
Hi,

is there a good reason for this assumption?

What makes you think that the OP won't get 'unknown errors', if the OP
backup/sync the iOS device by USB with a virtualbox Linux host?

Assumed the OP wants to update iOS by USB, how could it be solved that
the OP doesn't need to reconnect manually (Virtualbox > Devises > USB)
each time the iOS device interrupts the connection, which is done 3 or 4
times, e.g. one time when the iOS device automatically turns off and on
during the iOS update?

You can't compare the sync with an iOS device with virtualbox's
ability to work without issues, with other connected USB devices.

1. Other devices do not automatically disconnect and reconnect e.g.
caused by a restart during an iOS update.

2. I don't know why 'unknown errors' happen more often, then
backups/sync are successfully on my machine, but I could imagine it's
related to an Apple protocol and perhaps the slow performance of
iTunes running on the Windows guest on newer Virtualbox versions.
Everything worked better with old Virtualbox versions, so I
stayed with an outdated Virtualbox for a while for my Ubuntu and
Arch install, but I stopped maintaining the old version a while back.

It could be that iOS updates by USB become completely impossible. I
don't do it anymore, since I now have got a router. But when doing
this, I was forced to maintain an outdated version of Virtualbox.

Note, I don't experience USB issues with Virtualbox, excepted for
syncing an iPad. In addition iTunes doesn't perform as well as other
apps do on the guest system.

Any hints to get rid of the USB issue are welcome.

To share individual files between Linux and an iPad Virtualbox works
quite good and this requires less effort. Transmitting a script or MIDI
file from a sequencer etc. by USB is not an issue and the advantage of
Virtualbox is that it provides shared read/write folders between host
and guest. To get this, it's much effort when using another host. Since
I share music production data and scripts, I'm using Virtualbox, but
again, USB is a PITA when making backups.

FWIW I don't encrypt the backup.

Regards,
Ralf
Dave Woyciesjes
2016-03-10 13:49:27 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf
I'm fairly certain (haven't tested though) that VirtualBox should pass
the USB phone connection through to the Windows guest fine.
Hi,
is there a good reason for this assumption?
Uhh, yeah...
Post by Ralf Mardorf
What makes you think that the OP won't get 'unknown errors', if the OP
backup/sync the iOS device by USB with a virtualbox Linux host?
The fact that while I have heard a few reports of it working, I haven't
tried myself...
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Assumed the OP wants to update iOS by USB, how could it be solved that
the OP doesn't need to reconnect manually (Virtualbox > Devises > USB)
each time the iOS device interrupts the connection, which is done 3 or 4
times, e.g. one time when the iOS device automatically turns off and on
during the iOS update?
IIRC, it can't.
Post by Ralf Mardorf
You can't compare the sync with an iOS device with virtualbox's
ability to work without issues, with other connected USB devices.
Uhh, yeah... 2 different systems..
Post by Ralf Mardorf
1. Other devices do not automatically disconnect and reconnect e.g.
caused by a restart during an iOS update.
No disagreement here...
Post by Ralf Mardorf
2. I don't know why 'unknown errors' happen more often, then
backups/sync are successfully on my machine, but I could imagine it's
related to an Apple protocol and perhaps the slow performance of
iTunes running on the Windows guest on newer Virtualbox versions.
Everything worked better with old Virtualbox versions, so I
stayed with an outdated Virtualbox for a while for my Ubuntu and
Arch install, but I stopped maintaining the old version a while back.
It could be that iOS updates by USB become completely impossible. I
don't do it anymore, since I now have got a router. But when doing
this, I was forced to maintain an outdated version of Virtualbox.
iOS still can be updated by using iTunes & your device connected by
USB. With the size of the updates lately, I always recommend to my
clients that they do their iOS updates that way, and not over the air.
This also gets their device backup in case things go pear shaped.
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Note, I don't experience USB issues with Virtualbox, excepted for
syncing an iPad. In addition iTunes doesn't perform as well as other
apps do on the guest system.
Any hints to get rid of the USB issue are welcome.
To share individual files between Linux and an iPad Virtualbox works
quite good and this requires less effort. Transmitting a script or MIDI
file from a sequencer etc. by USB is not an issue and the advantage of
Virtualbox is that it provides shared read/write folders between host
and guest. To get this, it's much effort when using another host. Since
I share music production data and scripts, I'm using Virtualbox, but
again, USB is a PITA when making backups.
FWIW I don't encrypt the backup.
Regards,
Ralf
Ralf, what's with the (what feels like) an attack on my advice? You
yourself said that you use iTunes/Windows in VirtualBox for your iPad. I
only agreed that that may be an option. I also fairly clearly stated
that it's not guaranteed to work.

Dave Woyciesjes
2016-03-10 14:00:17 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by MR ZenWiz
I have a friend who has an iPhone that she wants to backup to her computer.
and seemingly such a backup doesn't really backup the binaries, I guess
just the purchases and data gets stored..
If I'm understanding you correctly.... iTunes does backup the binaries
of the applications you have on your device.

Also, if you can get the device to sync with iTunes at least once,
there is an option to Sync over WiFi/network. So, for this to work, your
Windows/Virtual Box guest would need to use Bridged networking. The
iTunes machine & iOS device need to be on the same subnet.

Possibility: Setup a real Windows machine with iTunes, sync once, setup
WiFi sync. Then use a tool to turn that real machine into a VM?

Ralf Mardorf
2016-03-10 14:26:34 UTC
Post by Dave Woyciesjes
Post by Ralf Mardorf
and seemingly such a backup doesn't really backup the binaries, I
guess just the purchases and data gets stored..
If I'm understanding you correctly.... iTunes does backup the
binaries of the applications you have on your device.
This was my thought too, but seemingly iTunes Windows/Vbox only stores
the binaries of applications that were downloaded by iTunes
Windows/Vbox. The binaries of apps that were downloaded by Wifi by the
iPad or by another Windows/Vbox are not backuped, just the
purchase information is backuped.

First I used XP in Vbox and since I didn't own a router, I downloaded
the apps with iTunes XP/Vbox and synced with the iPad, for in-app
purchase I needed to visit a hot spot. I also updated iOS this way, it
this only worked with old versions of Vbox and failed when using newer
versions of VBox.

When Apple dropped XP support I set up Win 7 in VBox and by a sync the
purchase information was synced, but definitively no binaries were
transmitted and stored. I have a router now and usually purchase by
Wifi.

A "backup" seems not to be a complete backup as we know it when we
backup a complete Linux install.

Regarding the other issue, that USB is a PITA when using Virtualbox, if
there wouldn't be an Apple protocol, we simply could mount the iPad and
copy using a terminal or file manger, but we need iTunes and the
version of iOS must fit to the version of the iOS on the iPhone/iPad.

I suspect assumed you've got the purchase information of an app that
isn't available by iStore anymore and you want to sync with a new iOS
device, you are lost. If the app still is available, it will be
downloaded again, but assumed the app was updated, you would get the
current version and not necessarily the old version you used with your
old Apple device. Restoring without Internetaccess likely won't work,
if the app wasn't purchased by iTunes Windows/Vbox.
Dave Woyciesjes
2016-03-10 17:39:48 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Dave Woyciesjes
Post by Ralf Mardorf
and seemingly such a backup doesn't really backup the binaries, I
guess just the purchases and data gets stored..
If I'm understanding you correctly.... iTunes does backup the
binaries of the applications you have on your device.
This was my thought too, but seemingly iTunes Windows/Vbox only stores
the binaries of applications that were downloaded by iTunes
Windows/Vbox. The binaries of apps that were downloaded by Wifi by the
iPad or by another Windows/Vbox are not backuped, just the
purchase information is backuped.
What you need to do there then, once the iOS device is connected, in
the File menu (might be Edit) you should see Devices. In the sub-menu of
that, you should see an option to Transfer Purchases. This should copy
the downloaded apps to the computer.
Post by Ralf Mardorf
First I used XP in Vbox and since I didn't own a router, I downloaded
the apps with iTunes XP/Vbox and synced with the iPad, for in-app
purchase I needed to visit a hot spot. I also updated iOS this way, it
this only worked with old versions of Vbox and failed when using newer
versions of VBox.
When Apple dropped XP support I set up Win 7 in VBox and by a sync the
purchase information was synced, but definitively no binaries were
transmitted and stored. I have a router now and usually purchase by
Wifi.
A "backup" seems not to be a complete backup as we know it when we
backup a complete Linux install.
Hmm, with all the backup/restores I've done with my iPhones, it's
always been pretty much a full restore, aside form text messages. I also
do have the option to encrypt the backup as well.

Dave Woyciesjes

MR ZenWiz
2016-03-10 20:08:33 UTC
She just wants to be able to backup her phone on her computer without
having to deal with iTunes.

I'm still trying to talk her into an Android...

:-)

Post by Dave Woyciesjes
Dave Woyciesjes
2016-03-10 20:50:40 UTC
If she wants a full backup, I don't have any other answer than iTunes.
Unfortunately the best tool for the job, I say.

There _may_ be other solutions...
Post by Dave Woyciesjes

Ralf Mardorf
2016-03-10 22:02:42 UTC
Post by MR ZenWiz
I'm still trying to talk her into an Android...
First ensure for what purpose the iPhone is used. Android can't keep up
with iOS. I for example use my iPad for real-time audio productions.
You can make real-time audio productions with Linux, but not with the
Linux based Android. Android is not real-time capable. Android might
have more weak points, so first check if Android is able to replace iOS
for her needs.
Post by MR ZenWiz
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Dave Woyciesjes
Post by Ralf Mardorf
and seemingly such a backup doesn't really backup the binaries, I
guess just the purchases and data gets stored..
If I'm understanding you correctly.... iTunes does backup
the binaries of the applications you have on your device.
This was my thought too, but seemingly iTunes Windows/Vbox only
stores the binaries of applications that were downloaded by iTunes
Windows/Vbox. The binaries of apps that were downloaded by Wifi by
the iPad or by another Windows/Vbox are not backuped, just the
purchase information is backuped.
What you need to do there then, once the iOS device is
connected, in
the File menu (might be Edit) you should see Devices. In the sub-menu
of that, you should see an option to Transfer Purchases. This should
copy the downloaded apps to the computer.
No, it does copy the purchase information, not the binaries.

I do notice this regarding the sizes of my old Vbox XP's iTunes were I
purchased apps using iTunes and the space used by apps on my iPad, so
the binaries are downloaded by iTunes and comparison with my new Vbox
Win7's iTunes, were I tried to backup the binaries, let alone how quick
purchase information is synced.

You can see that after syncing purchases.

iTunes: Settings > Apps

Above the list with apps for file sharing, there is the list of
apps that provides a 'sort by' box, there are the apps listed and you
can chose 'Install', 'Remove' etc. or take a look at the section with
'My Apps'. This shows the binaries once stored, since downloaded from
the Internet on your computer. In my case 2 apps from 359 apps. The
apps use >26GB on the iPad, but the Vbox winos7.qcow virtual drive is
just around 19GB small and most of this is used by Windows 7.

Were should be the location were all the backuped binaries are stored
by iTunes?

Regards,
Ralf
Ralf Mardorf
2016-03-10 22:11:59 UTC
Post by MR ZenWiz
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Dave Woyciesjes
Post by Ralf Mardorf
[...]
^^^^^^^^^^^
Oops, should read

I do notice this regarding the sizes of my old Vbox XP's iTunes were I
purchased apps using iTunes (so the binaries are downloaded by iTunes)
and the space used by apps on my iPad in comparison with my new Vbox
Win7's iTunes, were I tried to backup the binaries, let alone how quick
purchase information is synced.

Still broken English, but perhaps less confusing.
Dave Woyciesjes
2016-03-11 02:09:36 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by MR ZenWiz
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Dave Woyciesjes
Post by Ralf Mardorf
[...]
No worries, I think I get your point...

I use iTunes on a Mac, and the apps are backed up to
~\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications. Older versions may have
the structure a little different. I believe Windows has a similar layout.

I have recently downloaded Outlook on my phone... Let me Transfer
Purchases and see what happens...

Huh, I stand corrected. I could have sworn that Transfer Purchases (in
the past) transferred the application binaries to the computer. But at
least, since I am signed in to iTunes, I can download Outlook, and it
does now show in the Mobile Applications folder.

But I can say that a Encrypted Backup & Restore does save all the apps
& reloads them.

And yes, we are getting a bit off-topic in regards to this list...

Ralf Mardorf
2016-03-11 09:13:48 UTC
Post by Dave Woyciesjes
But I can say that a Encrypted Backup & Restore does save all the
apps & reloads them.
The not encrypted backup also allows to restore from a backup on the
same device, without downloading from the app store, so even apps that
aren't available by the app store anymore are restored.
But what would happen, if you want to restore the backup on another
device? I guess a restore compares checksums, checks purchase
information and then activates the apps, that are still on the iOS
device. Assumed there should be a checksum mismatch or you restore on
another device, I suspect the binaries will be downloaded from the
app store. IOW I guess a working Internet connection is needed and the
purchased apps still need to be provided by the app store. I suspect
it's the same for the encrypted backup. That a restore on the
original device does work, is not an evidence for stored binaries. Btw.
a restore via USB on my machine is much to fast it can't be a copy of
all binaries.
Dave Woyciesjes
2016-03-11 14:19:28 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Dave Woyciesjes
But I can say that a Encrypted Backup & Restore does save all the
apps & reloads them.
The not encrypted backup also allows to restore from a backup on the
same device, without downloading from the app store, so even apps that
aren't available by the app store anymore are restored.
But what would happen, if you want to restore the backup on another
device?
If I understand your question right.... That's exactly how I switch
devices. Backup iPhone 4, and restore to a 4S. Done many times successfully.
Post by Ralf Mardorf
I guess a restore compares checksums, checks purchase
information and then activates the apps, that are still on the iOS
device. Assumed there should be a checksum mismatch or you restore on
another device, I suspect the binaries will be downloaded from the
app store. IOW I guess a working Internet connection is needed and the
purchased apps still need to be provided by the app store. I suspect
it's the same for the encrypted backup. That a restore on the
original device does work, is not an evidence for stored binaries. Btw.
a restore via USB on my machine is much to fast it can't be a copy of
all binaries.
I've never tried a restore without internet connection, so I can't
definitively say.
However, given the fact that you can easily download apps (purchased on
the phone OTA) in iTunes to get the binaries on your machine; I think
we're getting to the point of just an intellectual exercise discussion.
Which has been a good one.

Ralf Mardorf
2016-03-11 14:34:05 UTC
Hi Dave,
Post by Dave Woyciesjes
However, given the fact that you can easily download apps (purchased
on the phone OTA) in iTunes to get the binaries on your machine; I
think we're getting to the point of just an intellectual exercise
discussion.
I agree, with the exception that I have got one app, that isn't
available by iStore anymore, but it still works regarding my needs,
even while parts of this app got broken by iOS updates. However, I found
a replacement for this app.

Assumed the apps were downloaded when you restored the backup of the
iPhone 4 on a 4S, this unlikely would be an anonymous restore, so at
least offend privacy.
Post by Dave Woyciesjes
Which has been a good one.
I agree.

It was not completely off-topic, since it pointed out, that we can't
say for sure how a restricted OS does a backup, but we can say for sure
what happens, if we backup and restore a Linux install.

Last but not least, if we don't want to use the cloud directly from the
iOS device, we need iTunes to backup to a computer and unlikely could
do this using a Linux app.

If a backup to the cloud is wanted, I wouldn't use an external computer
at all, since this could be done from the iOS device directly.

Regards,
Ralf
Dave Woyciesjes
2016-03-11 15:42:38 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Hi Dave,
Post by Dave Woyciesjes
However, given the fact that you can easily download apps (purchased
on the phone OTA) in iTunes to get the binaries on your machine; I
think we're getting to the point of just an intellectual exercise
discussion.
I agree, with the exception that I have got one app, that isn't
available by iStore anymore, but it still works regarding my needs,
even while parts of this app got broken by iOS updates. However, I found
a replacement for this app.
Assumed the apps were downloaded when you restored the backup of the
iPhone 4 on a 4S, this unlikely would be an anonymous restore, so at
least offend privacy.
I don't assume I have privacy on my iPhone. :)
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Dave Woyciesjes
Which has been a good one.
I agree.
It was not completely off-topic, since it pointed out, that we can't
say for sure how a restricted OS does a backup, but we can say for sure
what happens, if we backup and restore a Linux install.
Last but not least, if we don't want to use the cloud directly from the
iOS device, we need iTunes to backup to a computer and unlikely could
do this using a Linux app.
If a backup to the cloud is wanted, I wouldn't use an external computer
at all, since this could be done from the iOS device directly.
Agreed. Me, however, I may enable the iCloud backup, just because it's
there & free; and it would be handy if I need to restore and my machine
is not available.