Is my Ubuntu hacked (and being controlled by a hacker?)
Behrang Saeedzadeh
2005-02-26 13:37:45 UTC
Hi

Today I suddenly noticed that when I move the mouse suddenly the
cursor moves to random places and some menus, windows, and ... are
being clicked although that I don't press any of the mouse buttons?

Could it be that my system is hacked? If so, how can I be sure that
I'm hacked and how can I stop the hacker from controlling my computer?

As a side not, this all happened shortly after I changed my desktop
theme. Could this be the reason that I'm hacked?

Best Regards,
--
Behrang Saeedzadeh
http://www.jroller.com/page/behrangsa
Eamonn Sullivan
2005-02-26 13:49:35 UTC
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 05:37:45 -0800, Behrang Saeedzadeh
Post by Behrang Saeedzadeh
Hi
Today I suddenly noticed that when I move the mouse suddenly the
cursor moves to random places and some menus, windows, and ... are
being clicked although that I don't press any of the mouse buttons?
Could it be that my system is hacked? If so, how can I be sure that
I'm hacked and how can I stop the hacker from controlling my computer?
As a side not, this all happened shortly after I changed my desktop
theme. Could this be the reason that I'm hacked?
Hacking is unlikely, but to ease your mind go into
System/Preferences/Remote Desktop and turn off the option to allow
other users to control your desktop.

What happens if you go back to the standard theme?

-Eamonn
Niran Babalola
2005-02-26 13:49:59 UTC
Go to Computer -> Desktop Preferences -> Remote Desktop. If you're not
using this feature, uncheck the first checkbox. If it was checked,
open a terminal and type "killall -9 vino-server" without the quotes.
If it wasn't checked, then you have a different problem. Try rebooting
if you haven't already.

- Niran

Michael Anckaert
2005-02-26 13:53:59 UTC
Post by Behrang Saeedzadeh
Hi
Today I suddenly noticed that when I move the mouse suddenly the
cursor moves to random places and some menus, windows, and ... are
being clicked although that I don't press any of the mouse buttons?
Could it be that my system is hacked? If so, how can I be sure that
I'm hacked and how can I stop the hacker from controlling my computer?
As a side not, this all happened shortly after I changed my desktop
theme. Could this be the reason that I'm hacked?
Best Regards,
--
Behrang Saeedzadeh
http://www.jroller.com/page/behrangsa
Hello Behrang,
I also had the 'jumping mouse' problem. It happened because my mouse got
broken or something inside the mouse got screwed up. Menu's and windows
kept opening, closing or moving at random. I bought a new mouse (a
wonderfull Logitech MX1000 Laser) and all is fine now :-).

I doubt the 'hacked' part but it is possible. Where did you download the
theme from? Or was it included with Ubuntu?
Could be that your VNC server is open and that someone connected to it.
--
With kind regards,
Michael Anckaert
Thomas Kaiser
2005-02-26 14:00:38 UTC
I don't think you are hacked. It looks like your mouse is not working
correct anymore. I had a similar problem with my mouse. I had to add a
parameter to the psmouse kernel module to get the mouse working. I don't
know if it is the same issue on your box. But here are my changes:

In the file /etc/modules add " proto=imps" to the line which starts with
psmouse. now, modules will look like this (my mouse is a PS/2 mouse):
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line. Comments begin with
# a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.

psmouse proto=imps
mousedev
ide-cd
ide-disk
ide-generic
lp

Regards, Thomas
Best Regards,
Thomas Beckett
2005-02-26 14:11:25 UTC
Post by Behrang Saeedzadeh
Hi
Today I suddenly noticed that when I move the mouse suddenly the
cursor moves to random places and some menus, windows, and ... are
being clicked although that I don't press any of the mouse buttons?
Could it be that my system is hacked? If so, how can I be sure that
I'm hacked and how can I stop the hacker from controlling my computer?
Its very unlikely that you have been hacked, especially if you havent
installed any servers as by default ubuntu has no server running at
all and no listening ports so nobody could get in. Secondly, anybody
hacking you wouldnt connect to you desktop and "wiggle the mouse!" it
would be too abvious - they wouls look around and install some
backdoor etc.

Its much more likely to be some setup problem. Which version of ubuntu
are you using? warty or hoary. Do you have 2 mice. My radio mouse
exhibits things like this when its batteries are low and strangely
when my mobile is near it and get a singal it goes nuts! another
thing, check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the bit that has "Section
Input Device", how many refer to mice - I had a problem a while ago
that 2 were configured for 1 mouse. remove one of them by commenting
them out and try again.

hope it helps..

Tom
--
Q: How many freudians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Two - one to change the bulb - the other to hold the penis...

.... I mean ladder!!!
Behrang Saeedzadeh
2005-02-26 14:37:06 UTC
I had my cell phone near the mouse so may be that's why my mouse went
crazy for that while...
I had a problem a while ago that 2 were configured for 1 mouse. remove one of
them by commenting them out and try again.
I've not changed anything mouse related and my system was working fine
for more than 2 or 3 weeks so I doubt if this is the cause of the
problem.
I don't think you are hacked. It looks like your mouse is not working
correct anymore. I had a similar problem with my mouse. I had to add a
parameter to the psmouse kernel module to get the mouse working. I don't
I doubt if this is the root of my problem cause my mouse was working
fine for more than three weeks...

And the Remote Desktop is disabled.

The theme was one of those that are provided by Ubuntu by default.

But I've installed several servers on my Ubuntu system: CVS, MySQL,
Tomcat to name a few. I've also installed aMule 0.44 on the system.

Anyways, thanks for all the responses. I restarted my system and it's
working fine again.

Best Regards,
Behrang S.
Senectus .
2005-02-26 14:43:54 UTC
Post by Behrang Saeedzadeh
Hi
Today I suddenly noticed that when I move the mouse suddenly the
cursor moves to random places and some menus, windows, and ... are
being clicked although that I don't press any of the mouse buttons?
Could it be that my system is hacked? If so, how can I be sure that
I'm hacked and how can I stop the hacker from controlling my computer?
As a side not, this all happened shortly after I changed my desktop
theme. Could this be the reason that I'm hacked?
Sounds like a dud mouse to me..
Borrow another mouse from someone and test it on your system.. I bet
you don't see the same problems..
--
Ubuntu Warty 4.10 (desktop)
and Hoary 5.04 (Laptop) (kernel 2.6.10-19 686)
Behrang Saeedzadeh
2005-02-26 15:05:55 UTC
:(( I experienced the same problem again :((
Post by Senectus .
Sounds like a dud mouse to me..
Borrow another mouse from someone and test it on your system.. I bet
you don't see the same problems..
I changed my mouse and it looks like that the problem is faded away
for now. But I've to wait and see...

Best Regards,
Behrang S.
Behrang Saeedzadeh
2005-02-26 16:28:50 UTC
as you know i would be the last to exclude your suspicions,
but to me it looks more probable that there is a problem
on your system that is not remote-controlled by others.
Frankly before I install a Firewall on my pre-SP2 XP system my system
were attacked by lots of different attackers: I saw a strange dialog
box at the center of the window advertising different things, suddenly
my svc service used all the CPU horsepower, and I also had the same
problems when I ran eMule Plus. Then I installed a firewall on my
system and I found out that my system is being hacked at least ten
times a day. That's why I was thinking that my Ubuntu is probably also
hacked :-)
it could be the mouse and keyboard cables for example.
Looks like to be so. After that I changed my mouse everything seems
fine (until now.) I've to wait and see if the problem shows up again
or not.

Thanks a lot,
Behrang S.
Mike Eberhart
2005-03-01 22:38:25 UTC
I experienced the "random mouse moves/clicks" when using a KVM switch,
and switching from Windows-based machines to a Linux-based machine
(Ubuntu in particular).

Has anyone else experience this too with KVMs? (I'm using a Belkin
Omnicube 4-port)
Mike Eberhart
David
2005-03-02 06:23:44 UTC
Post by Mike Eberhart
I experienced the "random mouse moves/clicks" when using a KVM switch,
and switching from Windows-based machines to a Linux-based machine
(Ubuntu in particular).
Has anyone else experience this too with KVMs? (I'm using a Belkin
Omnicube 4-port)
Yes.. there was a thread about it previously. I ended up adding:

psmouse proto=bare

to /etc/modules and that seemed to fix it, although you do lose some
functionality. I think it's a kernel problem, although I'm no expert. For
once, you can't blame the Win box.. it's actually the kernel seems to be
the culprit. For me, it only happened when switching the KVM.
Post by Mike Eberhart
--
Mike Eberhart
Hilding
2005-03-02 07:47:55 UTC
I've had a simmilar problem with a wireless mouse, running gentoo.
I tried the same mouse on my GF's windows machine and experienced the
same problem.

After a while random text messages from a neighbor's IM started to
appear.
Apparently my wireless dongle was picking up "other" signals.

Try swichting mouse and se if the problem goes away.

Best regards.
Hilding.
Hilding
Matthew S-H

Hervé Cauwelier
2005-03-01 12:19:38 UTC
Post by Behrang Saeedzadeh
Hi
Today I suddenly noticed that when I move the mouse suddenly the
cursor moves to random places and some menus, windows, and ... are
being clicked although that I don't press any of the mouse buttons?
I happen to have this problem with a USB mouse that gets crazy when I
plug or unplug other devices on the USB bus. I had to move the Trash
icon from the bottom-right corner to prevent the pointer from opening a
dozen Nautilus windows.

Sometimes, the pointer starts to go up the screen although the mouse
doesn't move at all. I've already seen this with another optical mouse.
Both are of a good quality. I suspect the USB drivers in the kernel.
--
Herv? Cauwelier
http://www.oursours.net/
N. Pauli
2005-03-01 22:53:46 UTC
Post by Mike Eberhart
I experienced the "random mouse moves/clicks" when using a KVM switch,
and switching from Windows-based machines to a Linux-based machine
(Ubuntu in particular).
Has anyone else experience this too with KVMs? (I'm using a Belkin
Omnicube 4-port)
Yeah, I've had that occasionally. I usually solve it by logging out and logging back in. Once I had to switch off my linux box but with ext3 that wasn't at all embarrassing. Also it only happens when I'm starting up. My KVM is branded Mini.

Nigel
--
Nigel Pauli
Network Manager