How to rescue my data files before reconfiguring the 2 HD's of my desktop PC?!
Bas Roufs
2010-04-09 10:01:26 UTC
Dear Everybody

Attempts to repair the grub of the Kubuntu 9.10 partition at the
desktop via a "grub rescue cd" finally failed yesterday - in spite of
the major efforts of Goh Lip to carefully and skilfully assist me.
Thank you, Goh Lip, anyway!

Now, I am trying to rescue all the data files before totally revising
the configuration at the 2 hard disks of the desktop PC. I am
wondering how exactly to safely and effectively rescue my data files.
I did already back-up most of them at an external HD - except some
important recent files - amongst them the one generated by
KAdressbook. Additionally, about one percent of my files have not been
correctly saved as backup at the external HD. Only recently I
discovered a safe method to correctly copy/ backup each single file:
compressing them to a few archives at the external HD, then unzipping/
uncompressing them there. That's why, I am trying to backup all the
data files again, I hope to get some useful advises via this forum.

One hard disk, sda, has a capacity of 80GB, the 2nd one, sdb, 160GB.
The sda disk contains 2 partitions: sda1 with Windows XP and sda5, a
data partition.. The sdb disk contains 3 partitions: sdb1 with Kubuntu
7.10, sdb6 with only data files/ backup and sdb7 with Kubuntu 9.10

So far, I have tried three approaches to do so:
* the live CD of Kubuntu 9.10
* "Puppy Linux" - both from a live CD and and a bootable USB stick;
* the most recent regular version of "Knoppix", from a live CD.
So far, I have been able to mount and navigate through each of the
partitions, except the most important one: sdb7, the partition with
Kubuntu 9.10., as well as various recent files I absolutely need to
recover.

However it may be, I really would highly appreciate your advise with
respect to four questions.

Which exact method(s) would you advise me to mount, file manage each
of the partitions and COMPRESS (ZIP) from there the data files to my
external HD? (I prefer to compress/ zip folders with data files
because it is an efficient and safe method to copy the files without
complications.)

Which live CD and/or live USB stick would you recommend me to use for
this emergency project: Kubuntu 9.10, Knoppix 6, Puppy Linux or any
other recent distro? (The desktop computer can boot both from CD and
USB. By means of my laptop and some small external device, I can
produce live CD's without problems.)

Which kind of boot medium suits best as platform for the OS enabling
me to carry out the data rescue operation: a live CD or a live USB
stick?

Provided that I do manage somehow to mount and file manage sdb7, where
and how exactly can I find the file generated by KAdressbook?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Respectfully yours,

Bas Roufs, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
Karl Larsen
2010-04-09 12:30:06 UTC
Post by Bas Roufs
Dear Everybody
Attempts to repair the grub of the Kubuntu 9.10 partition at the
desktop via a "grub rescue cd" finally failed yesterday - in spite of
the major efforts of Goh Lip to carefully and skilfully assist me.
Thank you, Goh Lip, anyway!
You are asking too many questions. I want to know just about the
above. You are using 9.10 which has the new grub2 which you must use
special care to keep it running.

What happened to your grub? Do you have just the 9.10 on your
computer? How many hard drives?

Post by Bas Roufs
Respectfully yours,
Bas Roufs, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
73 Karl
--
Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
Key ID = 3951B48D
Bas Roufs
2010-04-09 14:31:50 UTC
Hello Karl and everybody
Post by Bas Roufs
Attempts to repair the grub of the Kubuntu 9.10 partition at the
desktop via a "grub rescue cd" finally failed yesterday - (snip)
(snip) I want to know just about the above. You are using 9.10 which has the new grub2
which you must use ... (snip)
Your presumptions are partially right. I do use Kubuntu 9.10 - at both
computers. At the new laptop, from which I write this message, it's a
fresh install, together with Grub2. But at my desktop, Kubuntu 9.10 is
an upgrade from the previous version, 9.04 - that's why, I still have/
had Grub Legacy in that configuration. Only a special separate grub
upgrade could have delivered me Grub2 - but only after the crash, the
story about the grub upgrade became clear to me. Cf.:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
? ? What happened to your grub?
In December I carried out out a backport ppa upgrade from KDE 4.2. to
4.3. That upgrade worked out well, because of the many improvements
and bug fixes. Then, I forgot about my backport ppa which remained
'open'. That's why, an automatic update came in a few months ago: from
KDE 4.3. to 4.4. After that upgrade, I had several complications -
e.g. KAddressbook wich did not work any more properly, and some
'broken dependencies'. That's why, I closed the backport PPA and
sticked only to the normal update system. However, the 'broken
dependencies' problem has become worse. At a certain moment, the
update system did not function any more. Finally, the system got
totally stuck/ frozen/ non-responsive in the middle of a working
session.The cursor was immovable, actions via the mouse and keyboard
did not deliver any more any response. It was not possible any more to
stop and restart the system - not via the K-menu, also not via
"control-alt-del". Also interventions via the system monitor did not
work any more. The ONLY option left was simply unplugging the PC.
But each following attempt to normally restart the PC already
stagnates in the very beginning as follows:
GRUB Loading stage 1.5
GRUB loading, please wait .....
Error 18
Already after 'Error 18', nothing happens any more. Every restart
attempt ends up in again 'Error 18', unless I boot from USB or CD.
Apparently something has happened with the grub, because of which I do
not manage any more to boot from the sdb7-partition. Also attempts to
mount sdb7 via a live system have failed so far.
Do you have just the 9.10 on your computer?
No. I also have Windows XP and Kubuntu 7.10.
How many hard drives?
Two:
* sda, 80GB, with Windows at sda1 and a data partition at sda5.
* sdb, 160GB, with Kubuntu 7.10 at sda1, a data partition at sda6 and
Kubuntu 9.10 at sda 7.

Respecfully yours,

Bas.
Karl Larsen
2010-04-09 18:04:36 UTC
Post by Bas Roufs
Hello Karl and everybody
Post by Bas Roufs
[...]
Grub version 1 has this nice setup thing.

In a terminal type sudo grub and your in a grub window. you see
this:
grub

which means you started a grub window

type these:

grub root (hd1,6) This where grub is located.

grub setup (hd0)

Here you should get a lot of words about where grub is.

grub quit

your done.
Key ID = 3951B48D
Franklin S Werren
2010-04-09 15:05:15 UTC
Post by Bas Roufs
[...]
Hi There;

The easy way is to boot frtom the CD/DVD with a Ubuntu Disk
Then log in as a second user matching the log in info of the
hard drive you want to get at...
In most cases copying the /home/user name directory will grab
all settings and files you need.
Then copy the directories to a jump drive of some sort...
Be sure you have enough room.
You will get all your mail settings and mail as well as all
other settings. Only the programs themselves will need to
be reinstalled after you do a clean install of Ubuntu.
I have done this many times myself.

Have fun!!!

Frank
Franklin S Werren admin at chautauqualake.net
www.chautauqualake.net

Confidentiality Note: This email and any attachments are confidential and may contain privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and remove the email and any attachments from your system without storing, disclosing or copying all, or any part of it. The content of this email and attachments may contain data that falls within the scope of the Data Protection Act 1998. The unauthorized opening, use, recording, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Post by Bas Roufs
One hard disk, sda, has a capacity of 80GB, the 2nd one, sdb, 160GB.
The sda disk contains 2 partitions: sda1 with Windows XP and sda5, a
data partition.
A Windows or Linux data partition?

If Windows - is Windows still functioning OK? Nothing you need to
retrieve from there?
Post by Bas Roufs
The sdb disk contains 3 partitions: sdb1 with Kubuntu
7.10,
Wow, that is an old version to keep around! 8.04 I could understand,
as it is an LTS release, but 7.anything?
Post by Bas Roufs
sdb6 with only data files/ backup
OK. Where was this mounted when in use? /home or what?
Post by Bas Roufs
and sdb7 with Kubuntu 9.10
OK. What format? ext3, ext4 or something else?
--
Liam Proven ? Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ? GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 ? Cell: +44 7939-087884 ? Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AOL/AIM/iChat/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven ? LiveJournal/Twitter: lproven
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com ? ICQ: 73187508
Fred Roller
2010-04-09 20:38:55 UTC
Post by Bas Roufs
Dear Everybody
Attempts to repair the grub of the Kubuntu 9.10 partition at the
desktop via a "grub rescue cd" finally failed yesterday - in spite of
the major efforts of Goh Lip to carefully and skilfully assist me.
Thank you, Goh Lip, anyway!
Now, I am trying to rescue all the data files before totally revising
the configuration at the 2 hard disks of the desktop PC. I am
wondering how exactly to safely and effectively rescue my data files.
I did already back-up most of them at an external HD
How big is the external drive?
Post by Bas Roufs
- except some
important recent files - amongst them the one generated by
KAdressbook. Additionally, about one percent of my files have not been
correctly saved as backup at the external HD. Only recently I
compressing them to a few archives at the external HD, then unzipping/
uncompressing them there. That's why, I am trying to backup all the
data files again, I hope to get some useful advises via this forum.
Using what method so we don't advise the same
Post by Bas Roufs
One hard disk, sda, has a capacity of 80GB, the 2nd one, sdb, 160GB.
The sda disk contains 2 partitions: sda1 with Windows XP and sda5, a
data partition.. The sdb disk contains 3 partitions: sdb1 with Kubuntu
7.10, sdb6 with only data files/ backup and sdb7 with Kubuntu 9.10
* the live CD of Kubuntu 9.10
* "Puppy Linux" - both from a live CD and and a bootable USB stick;
* the most recent regular version of "Knoppix", from a live CD.
What did you try with each respective distro.
Post by Bas Roufs
So far, I have been able to mount and navigate through each of the
partitions, except the most important one: sdb7, the partition with
Kubuntu 9.10., as well as various recent files I absolutely need to
recover.
Was/Is there an error. Will the sdb7 not mount? Why did this partition
fail (if you know)?
Post by Bas Roufs
However it may be, I really would highly appreciate your advise with
respect to four questions.
Which exact method(s) would you advise me to mount, file manage each
of the partitions and COMPRESS (ZIP) from there the data files to my
external HD? (I prefer to compress/ zip folders with data files
because it is an efficient and safe method to copy the files without
complications.)
Check below under "Where it me:"
Post by Bas Roufs
Which live CD and/or live USB stick would you recommend me to use for
this emergency project: Kubuntu 9.10, Knoppix 6, Puppy Linux or any
other recent distro? (The desktop computer can boot both from CD and
USB. By means of my laptop and some small external device, I can
produce live CD's without problems.)
Which kind of boot medium suits best as platform for the OS enabling
me to carry out the data rescue operation: a live CD or a live USB
stick?
Your choice, if you have the ability to boot from USB (reliably) it will
prove much faster.
Post by Bas Roufs
Provided that I do manage somehow to mount and file manage sdb7, where
and how exactly can I find the file generated by KAdressbook?
I use Gnome so I will leave this one to another expert; but, you might try

ls -a ./

from your home directory. Programs like Thunderbird, etc. may create a
file/directory for the user hidden from veiw. (example Thunderbird has
a directory ".thunderbird" in the home directory, note the period
indicating a hidden file/directory.) /Sometimes/ you can copy this
directory back into place after your rebuild and the program is non-the
wiser.
Post by Bas Roufs
Thanks in advance for your advise.
Respectfully yours,
Bas Roufs, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
Where it me:

Assumptions: Your external drive is >250Gb and usb.
You are comfortable with the command line
The windows partition is ntfs and all the
linux partitions are ext3
We are starting from scratch and therefore
the external drive is empty.
You know how to partition drives.
sda = sda above
sdb = sdb above
sdc = external drive

Boot to any live CD, in this case the Ubuntu Live. (Older is fine and
preferred since they are tested and true.)

Open a terminal and go to full screen. (shouldn't need GUI and will
therefore speed things up)

First thing to try is simply the dd command:

Ensure your external drive is formatted with one partition: (Yes, this
will remove what you have.)

mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdc1

and mount the external drive

mkdir /media/backup_drive
mount /dev/sdc1 /media/backup_drive

start retrieving data for each of the partitions (DO NOT mount the
partitions, umount them if they are):

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/media/backup_drive/old_sda1.iso bs=4026
conv=notrunc

do this for each of the partitions remembering to change the respective
filenames

dd if=/dev/[partition] of=/media/backup_drive/[filename].iso
bs=4026 conv=notrunc

should the above run into trouble then replace "dd" with "ddrescue"
which is designed for failing drives and works around errors a bit more,
you may lose data it can't read but it won't fail typically.

This should create a series of .iso files which from the desktop gui
interface of lucid and a couple of previous distros will see as an
archive allowing you to pull file one at a time. Or you can mount the
files and pull them out. Either way you throw nothing away and will
have all your data. Hope this is helpful. Good luck.
--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."