any KVMs known to work with Ubuntu?
Ryan Thiessen
2005-03-07 19:29:46 UTC
A friend of mine is having a hell of a time getting his KVM working
with Ubuntu. He's tried the fixes posted on this list and others
including the psmouse proto=bare fix and the xf86config fix, neither
of which work. He is looking to replace his ps/2 based setup with a
USB KVM switch. Unfortunately there is no KVM category on the wiki
hardware database, so I don't know what to recommend or it will even
work.

So I'm wondering, is there anyone on this list using a USB kvm switch,
and does it work by default in warty and/or hoary? If my friend could
have a known working setup that would help a lot.
--
Cheers,
-rt-
Tony
2005-03-07 19:48:35 UTC
I have been using an IOGear Miniview USB KVM switch for a couple of
years and it has worked with most operating systems, including many
versions of Linux. Occasionally if an operating system has been
running for some time and I switch to it from another, it may fail to
pick up either the USB keyboard or mouse. Sometimes it can be
corrected by cycling through the switch again, else I usually have to
shutdown and reboot. To avoiding hard rebooting, I usually have a
ps/2 keyboard plugged directly to the motherboard. I have had
sporadic problems with USB KVM's and Knoppix type distros.

I have had little problem with it and Ubuntu.
bob k
2005-03-08 02:59:33 UTC
Post by Tony
I have been using an IOGear Miniview USB KVM switch for a couple of
years and it has worked with most operating systems, including many
versions of Linux. Occasionally if an operating system has been
running for some time and I switch to it from another, it may fail to
pick up either the USB keyboard or mouse. Sometimes it can be
corrected by cycling through the switch again, else I usually have to
shutdown and reboot. To avoiding hard rebooting, I usually have a
ps/2 keyboard plugged directly to the motherboard. I have had
sporadic problems with USB KVM's and Knoppix type distros.
I have had little problem with it and Ubuntu.
Post by Ryan Thiessen
have a known working setup that would help a lot.
--
Cheers,
-rt-
I'm using a Trendnet 210k which is a 2 port kvm that 2 ps2 km and
analog video, it also has 2 USB connectors. I haven't had any problems
with this unit I don't use the USB that much, but I would get a kvm
with a power supply for the usb ports so it doesn't act like a hub, as
that will break some devices.
bob k
Gavin Hemphill
2005-03-07 21:45:10 UTC
I'm using a belkin omniview pro kvm switch with ubuntu, red hat,
Yellowdog, MacOX machines connected to it - some USB some PS/2. The
keyboard and mouse attached to the switch are PS/2. Works reasonably
well as long as you don't move the mouse when you are switching.
G++
Post by Ryan Thiessen
A friend of mine is having a hell of a time getting his KVM working
with Ubuntu. He's tried the fixes posted on this list and others
including the psmouse proto=bare fix and the xf86config fix, neither
of which work. He is looking to replace his ps/2 based setup with a
USB KVM switch. Unfortunately there is no KVM category on the wiki
hardware database, so I don't know what to recommend or it will even
work.
So I'm wondering, is there anyone on this list using a USB kvm switch,
and does it work by default in warty and/or hoary? If my friend could
have a known working setup that would help a lot.
--
Gavin Hemphill <mailto:gavin.hemphill at drdc-rddc.gc.ca>
DRDC Atlantic <http://www.atlantic.drdc-rddc.gc.ca>

/\
Matt Zimmerman
2005-03-08 01:25:04 UTC
Post by Ryan Thiessen
So I'm wondering, is there anyone on this list using a USB kvm switch,
and does it work by default in warty and/or hoary? If my friend could
have a known working setup that would help a lot.
I use this one:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201729&pcount=&Product_Id=160623

Belkin OmniView? SOHO Series KVM Switch with Audio, USB and VGA

with three Ubuntu systems behind it, and it works fairly well overall. I'm
unable to use the hotkey feature, because if I connect my keyboard to the
keyboard input on the device (rather than the auxiliary USB), it can't keep
up with my typing. Also, the switch doesn't support DDC, so I have to
configure the sync ranges for my monitor manually.
- mdz
Daniel Stone
2005-03-08 01:40:06 UTC
Post by Matt Zimmerman
Post by Ryan Thiessen
So I'm wondering, is there anyone on this list using a USB kvm switch,
and does it work by default in warty and/or hoary? If my friend could
have a known working setup that would help a lot.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201729&pcount=&Product_Id=160623
Belkin OmniView? SOHO Series KVM Switch with Audio, USB and VGA
with three Ubuntu systems behind it, and it works fairly well overall. I'm
unable to use the hotkey feature, because if I connect my keyboard to the
keyboard input on the device (rather than the auxiliary USB), it can't keep
up with my typing. Also, the switch doesn't support DDC, so I have to
configure the sync ranges for my monitor manually.
That being said, the only switches I've seen that support DDC cost
thousands of dollars.