Lexmark X73 under Ubuntu?
Kent Frazier
2004-12-03 07:55:29 UTC
Does anyone know how to set up a Lexmark X73 printer/scanner combo
under Ubuntu. BAck when I used Mandrake 9.1, I remember that I
somehow got it to work, but I have tried everything I remember doing
and neither the printer nor the scanner work at all. Under Mandrake,
the scanner was automatically detected and worked fine. I had to use
the driver for the z42 to get the printer working, and then I could
only make it print in black or in 3-color, but not with both
cartridges, no matter how I tried. At least it worked though.
Anybody else have one of these and have it working? I think they were
a pretty popular item. I hate that I have to boot into Windows and
fire up explore2fs just to print a document.

Hopefully,
Kent
jkndrkn
2005-04-16 23:22:26 UTC
I have the same issue. Ubuntu recognizes it and sets up a new printer,
but printing (including the test page) doesn't work.

Let me know if you've since resolved your problem.

Thanks.
jkndrkn
Kent Nyberg
2005-04-17 12:58:58 UTC
Post by jkndrkn
I have the same issue. Ubuntu recognizes it and sets up a new printer,
but printing (including the test page) doesn't work.
Let me know if you've since resolved your problem.
Lexmark has a package with linux-drivers on their homepage which I used
to get my brothers computer work with his Lexmark. Download this
package:
http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:390:0:0&emeaframe=&fileID=1151

Unpackage it somewhere. Then from a terminal you can run:
"./z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh -keep" That will give you a set of files (if i
remember correctly, and one of those is a *.ppd file i think.
Now you setup the printer in Ubuntu (System->Administration->Printer in
Hoary). From there you choose Local printer, and "Use another printer
by specifying a port", (choose the port use use, like Usb1, etc..).
Then press Forward (Dont know the excact word since its translated into
swedish), and from that window you choose "Install driver". The dialog
asks for for a ppd-file, and since you now have one from the first
steps.. feed it with that one and your ready to go!

I got the information from:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=185993

But do note that that one is for Gentoo, and that they solve it a bit
diffrent than I did for my brother. Im unsure if the lexmark libraries
are needed for it to work. I remember only feeding the printer dialoge
with the ppd and it worked for my brother. But perhaps I had already
installed the libraries before, and just dont remember it.. :)
If your smart the pages should be enough to get it to work with a bit of
time and pain. Some Lexmarks just dont work with the free drivers, and
some dont even have free drivers, but this driver from lexmark worked
for my brother. If I was you, I would first try to fetch the ppd-file
from the lexmark drivers and feed it to the printer setup in Ubuntu. If
that dont work, I would try to install those libraries that also comes
with it. That way, if it works the first time, you saved some time and
space on the computer :)

Burgundavia
2005-04-17 05:20:08 UTC
Some quick googling led me to:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-X73

and

http://www.mepis.org/node/5662

Hope these are helpful. If any of there are, please email the
ubuntu-doc list so we can write a doc for ubuntu.

Corey
--
Burgundavia